Halloween at York Castle Museum
This half term, York Castle Museum invites you to join us for two exciting Halloween experiences.
Our family tour will lead you through the history of Halloween, looking at past beliefs about witches and evil spirits, as well as the origins of Halloween party games and traditions. Whilst another is adults only, where we will step back in time with the York Castle Prison Gaoler after the lights go out…
Halloween Traditions Family Tour – Sold out
29, 30 & 31 October, 10am
Book your tickets here.
Discover the history of Halloween Traditions this October half term! This half hour guided tour is for young children and their adults. It will lead you through the history of Halloween, looking at past beliefs about witches and evil spirits, as well as the origins of Halloween party games and traditions such as trick-or-treat.
This tour will take place in our Period Rooms and Toy Stories Galleries.
Please read the terms and conditions at the bottom of the page.
York Castle Museum Haunted Halloween Tour – Sold Out
29 & 31 October, 5:30pm & 7pm
Book your tickets here.
Dare you enter York Castle Museum after hours?
This Halloween, step back in time with the York Castle Prison Gaoler after the lights go out… Hear foreboding stories from everyday life in the prison, learn about the gruesome punishments inflicted, the harrowing executions for those found guilty and the tales of the paranormal experienced by staff in recent years…
Please note this is an adults only tour which features adult content including themes of torture, death, and sexual assault. This tour also features stairs and is not suitable for those with reduced mobility.
Please note for both tours:
- Your ticket is for the tours only. If you would like to purchase a ticket for the rest of the museum, please do this on our ticketing platform.
- Both tours involve multiple sets of stairs
- When booking your tickets please select the amount of tickets needed for your whole group. If you cannot select the full amount of tickets required then unfortunately there are not enough tickets available.
- We would ask that visitors wear a face covering when visiting the museum.
- If you’re more than 10 minutes late for your timeslot, unfortunately we won’t be able to guarantee entry.
- Please have your printed ticket or QR code on your device ready to show staff.
- Build your dream castle in the York Castle Museum BRICKLIVE play pit this Easter!
- New community exhibition in partnership with HERSTORY.YORK to open at York Castle Museum
- York Museums Trust announces move of CEO Reyahn King to a new post at National Trust for Scotland
- Staff health and wellbeing shown to be at the heart of York Museums Trust. All staff to benefit from a week’s holiday in early January and encouraged to rest and recuperate
- York Museums Trust partner with award-winning House of Memories to launch new app to help those living with dementia