The Traditions of Christmas Tour
December 5, 6, 9, 12, 13, 16, 19, 20, 23
Adult £8 / Child (5-16) £8
Come and take a stroll through Christmases past as we reveal the fascinating stories behind some of our most famous and much loved festive traditions.
When did we start eating turkey at Christmas? Why do we kiss under the mistletoe? Did Coca-Cola really turn Santa red?
This very special guided tour takes a peek into our decorated Period Rooms to uncover the reasons why we celebrate the way we do at this most wonderful time of year.
The socially distanced tour is limited to eight people to help ensure everyone stays safe as well as merry this Christmas.
To open safely we’re running guided tours led by our experts to carefully manage the number of visitors, therefore visitors will need to arrive just 5 minutes before your booked time slot, and leave the building once the tour is finished.
- Please arrive 5 minutes before your timed slot to be checked in.
- There will be refreshments available in the café for takeaway.
- This tour is not wheelchair accessible.
- Our shop will be open to buy Christmas treats.
- Please book one ticket per person – children under 3 don’t need a ticket.
- Please be aware that because of the new restrictions in York, you should only book up to six tickets for people who are part of your own household or support bubble. If you reside in a Tier 3 area, for the safety of everyone, we advise you not to book tickets and adhere to the Government Covid-19 rules and regulations.
- We would ask that visitors wear a face covering when visiting the museum.
- Please read our refund policy here.
- When booking your tickets please select the amount of tickets needed for your whole group. If you cannot select the full amount of tickets required then unfortunately there are not enough tickets available.
- If you’re late for your timeslot, unfortunately we won’t be able to guarantee entry. This is to help us keep the tours running on time and to keep everyone safe by maintaining visitor numbers at the required levels.
- Please have your printed ticket or ticket confirmation email on your device ready to show staff.
- We have made some changes at the museum to make your visit as safe and as relaxing as possible. This means that some things may be different than you’re used to. Please follow the advice and guidance of our Visitor Experience Team, who will be happy to answer any queries.
- Please follow social distancing and government guidelines.
Please note that if you reside in a Tier 3 area, for the safety of everyone, we advise you not to book tickets and adhere to the Government Covid-19 rules and regulations.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
- Come and explore York Castle Museum with the experts!
- York Castle Museum in search of most memorable COVID-19 objects
- York Museums Trust statement in support of The Rowntree Society
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Making Invisible Women Visible - Herstory.York partners with York Museums Trust to highlight women’s lives whose stories have not been sufficiently told