Kirkgate Family Tour
Families! This Spring, let our costumed guide whisk you back more than 100 years to walk the streets of Victorian York.
Step onto the cobbles and peer in the windows of the fine shops along Kirkgate, hearing why a Devil lurks outside the printers and how taking your “weasel” to the pawnbrokers was a weekly occurrence for many. Then head down the back alleys into York’s slums to discover how hard and deadly life was for the majority of the city’s residents as they battled against the awful conditions, where sharing a toilet with your whole street was the norm.
This tour is aimed at ages 5-16
Upcoming dates: Saturdays & Sundays in May
Please arrive 10 minutes before your tour time to be checked in.
- Come and explore York Castle Museum with the experts!
- York Castle Museum in search of most memorable COVID-19 objects
- York Museums Trust statement in support of The Rowntree Society
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Making Invisible Women Visible - Herstory.York partners with York Museums Trust to highlight women’s lives whose stories have not been sufficiently told