Power, Privacy and Protest: A LGBTQ+ tour
Uncover people lives that have been excluded from the history books along with ways that the ruling power tried to suppress them.
Fancy learning about other histories rather than the usual rich, straight, cis, white men? Then this is the tour for you.
Using our collections and buildings we will uncover people lives that have been excluded from the history books along with ways that the ruling power tried to suppress them. Starting with the Tudors and finishing with the world today, you will hear personal stories of people and how they have explored their sexuality and gender.
Tickets: £12 per person
To open safely we’re running guided tours led by our experts to carefully manage the number of visitors, therefore visitors will need to arrive just 5 minutes before your booked time slot, and leave the building once the tour is finished.
- Please be aware that because of the new restrictions in York, you should only book up to six tickets for people who are part of your own household or support bubble.
- Your ticket is for the tours only. With current guidelines we are only operating tours rather than standard museum entry to make the experience as safe as possible. Once your tour is finished you will need to exit the museum.
- Please book one ticket per person – children under five don’t need a ticket.
- When booking your tickets please select the amount of tickets needed for your whole group. If you cannot select the full amount of tickets required then unfortunately there are not enough tickets available.
- All bookings for the tours are non-refundable.
- We would ask that visitors wear a face covering when visiting the museum.
- If you’re more than 10 minutes late for your timeslot, unfortunately we won’t be able to guarantee entry. This is to help us keep the tours running on time and to keep everyone safe by maintaining visitor numbers at the required levels.
- Please have your printed ticket or QR code on your device ready to show staff.
- We have made some changes at the museum to make your visit as safe and as relaxing as possible. This means that some things may be different than you’re used to. Please follow the advice and guidance of our Visitor Experience Team, who will be happy to answer any queries.
- Please follow social distancing and government guidelines.
- Please check our website for all updates and current museum opening times.
- Come and explore York Castle Museum with the experts!
- York Castle Museum in search of most memorable COVID-19 objects
- York Museums Trust statement in support of The Rowntree Society
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Making Invisible Women Visible - Herstory.York partners with York Museums Trust to highlight women’s lives whose stories have not been sufficiently told