A Personal Collection of Vivienne Westwood Shoes
13 July 2018 – 28 April 2019
About the exhibition
Explore the passion that shoes can inspire through this prized private collection of Vivienne Westwood shoes, chosen for their beauty, innovation, and artistry.
This collection showcases Westwood’s Punk fashions in the 1970s and 1980s, with celebrated designs including the ‘Seditionaries’ boots favoured by The Sex Pistols; and iconic looks of late 20th century fashion such as the infamous ‘super-elevated’ heels of the 1990s: the same design that caused Naomi Campbell to take a tumble on a Paris catwalk.
To complement the exhibition, follow the footsteps of fashion through the ages with a display of footwear dating back to the 18th century selected by Dame Vivienne Westwood from our historic collection.
The selection includes:
- a pair of hand-made Georgian satin shoes that are nearly three hundred years old
- Edwardian boots designed by François Pinet, one of the most coveted shoemakers of his day
- a pair of Christian Dior court shoes designed by Roger Vivier, the creator of the stiletto heel
This long view of shoe design will show the rich history and tradition on which Westwood continues to draw.
Please note that this exhibition is located in the Upper Galleries which are currently inaccessible to wheelchair users. Further information on accessibility is available here.
Want to find out more about this exhibition?
Enjoy a unique insight into some of the shoes on display with our Spotlight Talks.
Shaping the Body
Explore 400 years of fashion, food and life in our ongoing Shaping the Body exhibition.
- Flags Marking End of First World War Rediscovered 100 Years on
- The Award-Winning Victorian Christmas at the Castle Returns This Year
- Come “Speed Dating” to See Which Objects You Fall In Love With
- York Museums Trust Want To Hear From You About the Future of York Castle Museum
- YMT Card Holders Invited to Private View of New Exhibition
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.