From Cradle to Grave
April 2000 – April 2016
This exhibition focuses on the history of three rites of passage: birth, marriage and death. On display were nursery items, wedding clothes and gifts, and an Edwardian hearse. Find out more.
Road to Waterloo
23 May – 30 September 2015
Marked the 200th anniversary of the Battle of Waterloo, this exhibition highlighted several rare objects including Napoleonic wallpaper, a military jacket and a seven barrel nock gun. Find out more.
25 March 2007 – 25 March 2008
Marking the 200th anniversary of the abolition of the British slave trade, this exhibition explored the impact slavery had on everyday life using historic material from York and Yorkshire. Find out more.
Closed 31 December 2004
The exhibition explored the many ways people kept themselves and their houses clean in the past. Items on display included vacuum cleaners, washing machines, soap and cleaning products. Find out more.
- York Castle Museum Lift Out of Order from 22 September
- York Castle Museum Lift Out of Order from 29 August 2017
- York Castle Museum Lift Operational as of 25 August 2017
- York Castle Museum Lift Out of Order from 19 August 2017
- Write a Play for York Theatre Royal’s Youth Theatre to be Performed at York Castle Museum
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.