York Castle Museum is family-friendly and we aim to be as inclusive as possible.
Younger visitors can enjoy our hands-on activities that are as educational as they are fun. We also offer a variety of activities, events and workshops available throughout the year with extra special offerings at Christmas time. Please click on the links below for further information.
Facilities for Families
- Pushchairs are not allowed on the galleries. However, baby carriers are provided free of charge with an area to store pushchairs (please see below for details)
- Indoor and outdoor spaces, most are wheelchair accessible (please find details here)
- Pre-visit guides for autistic children and their carers provided online here and during your visit
- Activity areas to encourage playful and sensory learning, open daily
- Volunteers offering ‘Hands on Here!’ opportunities to get closer to our objects
- Online events listings so you can plan ahead
- Baby changing facilities in both the accessible toilets
- A sensory basket available to borrow particularly suitable for visitors with visual impairments or autism (please ask a member of staff for assistance during your visit)
Please note that pushchairs cannot be taken into galleries. A ‘buggy park’ and a choice of baby carriers are available free of charge. We ask that pushchairs are folded in order to allow more space for other visitors’ pushchairs. Bags and coats should not be left with pushchairs.
Please click here to download a pre-visit guide to help before and during your visit.
A more detailed guide can be downloaded by clicking here.
These guides are designed for visitors with sensory difficulties but may also be helpful for those visiting with young children.