Open Daily: 9.30am – 5pm
Closed: 25, 26 December and 1 January.
Early closing at 2.30pm: 24 and 31 December.
Approximate length of visit: 2.5 to 3 hours.
YMT Card Holder FREE
Adult (with 10% Gift Aid Donation) £10.00
Adult (without donation) £9.09
Child (16 and under*) FREE with a paying adult
Access Day Ticket** £5.00
With a YorkCard 20% off day tickets
12 months unlimited access to York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum. Click here for details.
YMT Card £22 / £20 with Direct Debit
if you are a York resident*** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
Access YMT Card** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
if you are a York resident*** FREE
* Up to four children free per one paying adult. Additional children aged 5-16 will be charged at £4.50 per child. Under 5’s are free.
** Access tickets: up to 50% discount for visitors aged 17-24 or in receipt of Pension Credit or Universal Credit (that’s Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income–based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or Income Support). Evidence may be required. York Museums Trust is an independent charity, we need to raise funds but we are also committed to providing access to everybody.
*** York residents must be in possession of a valid YorkCard, available from all Explore libraries, a York student ID card, or a current Council Tax bill demonstrating that they live within the City of York Council local authority boundary.
Please note that the above admission prices do not apply to group bookings of ten or more – please click here for information on group bookings.
We offer free admission for the below. Please note that a valid card or proof of identity will be required in most circumstances.
- Carers who are accompanying a disabled visitor
- Blind or partially-sighted visitors
- York Pass holders
- York Museums Trust staff, Trustees and volunteers
- Blue Badge Guide
- Museums Association Card
- ICOM (International Council of Museums) staff
- NMDC (National Museums Directors council) staff
- GEM (Group for Education in Museums) staff
- York members of the Association of Voluntary Guides
- MAX Card
- Visit York Tourism Partners
- Visit York VIP Pass
- Jorvik staff (for the duration of the York St Mary’s exhibition only)
- Museum and gallery employees for organisations included in the NMDC Reciprocal Free Admission Scheme
How to Find Us
Eye of York, York, YO1 9RY (for SatNavs please use this alternative postcode – YO1 9WD)
York Castle Museum is in the centre of York, close to Clifford’s Tower and the Coppergate Shopping Centre.
Follow the green pedestrian signs to the ‘Castle Area’. It is 20 to 25 minutes’ walk from York Railway Station.
The nearest car park is the Castle car park next to Clifford’s Tower. For more car parking information please click here.
No museum visit is complete without a visit to Café 68 at the Castle! We serve delicious lunches, home-made cake and our own house blend coffee. YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the cafe.
Pushchairs cannot be taken into galleries. A ‘buggy park’ and a choice of baby carriers are available free of charge.
The main entrance area is fully accessible. The museum is divided in half, with both halves arranged over three floors, linked by several staircases. There are handrails on all the stairs and seating is available around the museum.
The ground floor is fully accessible on one side of the building, which includes York Castle Prison and The Sixties exhibitions.
The Victorian Street, which takes up the other side of the ground floor, is accessible via a wheelchair ramp.
The upper floors of the historic buildings are unfortunately not wheelchair accessible – this includes the Shaping the Body exhibition.
The 1914 galleries are now fully wheelchair accessible thanks to a new lift installed as part of the major redevelopment work that has recently been completed.
Please note: Due to fire evacuation requirements, the 1914 exhibition can only allow access to two wheelchair users at a time.
The exercise yard outside the back of the museum, close to the York Castle Prison area, is fully accessible.
There are two main toilet facilities in the museum both on the ground floor. These can be found on the Victorian Street and also near the Prison Cells. There is one accessible toilet in this area with baby changing facilities.
From traditional Victorian games and old-fashioned sweets to 60s books and stocking fillers – young or old, you’ll find that perfect gift. YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the shop.
Group & School Bookings
Guides to York Castle Museum
Download the foreign language guides to York Castle Museum:
For more information on York Castle Museum and other attractions in York, please click here to view the York 2017 Visitor Guide from the team at Visit York.
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Major Development Being Planned for York Castle Museum
- York Museums Trust Appoint Fundraising Manager
- New Exhibition Confirmed for York Castle Museum - Chocolate: York’s Sweet Past To Open Easter 2017
- Christmas Special of our Relaxed Opening Event at York Castle Museum Planned for 11 December 2016
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.