Previous Exhibition: From Cradle to Grave
Please note this exhibition has now closed.
April 2000 – April 2016
This exhibition focused on the history of three rites of passage: birth, marriage and death. On display were examples of many of the nursery and childcare items used during the last three hundred years including cradles, christening gifts and some superb christening gowns.
Outfits from our collection of wedding clothes formed the centre piece for our weddings theme, together with wedding gifts, trousseau items, and even a Victorian wedding cake.
An Edwardian hearse created a dramatic focal point to the displays about death. Objects included mourning clothes and jewellery, a funeral biscuit, and coffin furniture from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- York Castle Museum in Bid to Save Rare Silver Spoon
- York Museums Trust’s Open Weekend
- Have your say on York Museums Trust and its future development of York Castle Museum
- Berwick Kaler Oversees the Installation of His Pantomime Dame Glitterball Dress in the Shaping the Body Exhibition
- Tea-United: Teapot to Mark Reunion of Long Lost Siblings Features in Exhibition of Broken Relationships
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.