Previous Exhibition: From Cradle to Grave
Please note this exhibition has now closed.
April 2000 – April 2016
This exhibition focused on the history of three rites of passage: birth, marriage and death. On display were examples of many of the nursery and childcare items used during the last three hundred years including cradles, christening gifts and some superb christening gowns.
Outfits from our collection of wedding clothes formed the centre piece for our weddings theme, together with wedding gifts, trousseau items, and even a Victorian wedding cake.
An Edwardian hearse created a dramatic focal point to the displays about death. Objects included mourning clothes and jewellery, a funeral biscuit, and coffin furniture from the 18th and 19th centuries.
- Award-Winning Victorian Christmas Now Open at York Castle Museum
- Flags Marking End of First World War Rediscovered 100 Years on
- The Award-Winning Victorian Christmas at the Castle Returns This Year
- Come “Speed Dating” to See Which Objects You Fall In Love With
- York Museums Trust Want To Hear From You About the Future of York Castle Museum
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.