York’s Jewish story: 1170 to present
A new exhibition in partnership with York Liberal Jewish Community
Open until February 6 2022
Included in general admission
An exciting new community exhibition, in partnership with York Liberal Jewish Community, is now open at York Castle Museum. The compelling history of York’s Jewish community, spanning from 1170 to the present day, is shown through a series of insightful displays and key objects from the York Castle Museum collections.
York Liberal Jewish Community has worked with York Museums Trust to share the fascinating history, captivating stories, and their integral role in York’s society, with a wider audience through this upcoming exhibition.
‘York’s Jewish Story: 1170 to present’ explores York’s first Jewish society, starting with their arrival from France in the 1170s, to the horrific accounts of the massacre in 1190 at the top of Clifford’s Tower, the aftermath of the brutal attack, and how it is remembered today.
The exhibition explores the history of York’s Jewish community in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, including information on Aldwark Synagogue in York, the effects of the Holocaust on those living in the city, how Jewish life is now being reinvigorated with the growth of York Liberal Jewish Community over the last 7 years, and how Holocaust Memorial Day is currently commemorated. The display will also showcase the traditions of the religion’s practice and the festivals and events celebrated throughout the year.
- Staff health and wellbeing shown to be at the heart of York Museums Trust. All staff to benefit from a week’s holiday in early January and encouraged to rest and recuperate
- York Museums Trust partner with award-winning House of Memories to launch new app to help those living with dementia
- York Museums Trust invites York’s Hull Road residents to delve into the past in new community research project
- A Kirkgate Christmas Tale at York Castle Museum
- Lockdown artwork by Asylum Seekers to go on show in new display opening at York Castle Museum