Chocolate: York’s Sweet Past
1 April 2017 – 1 April 2018
Delve into the delicious history of some of the world’s most iconic chocolates and sweets as York Castle Museum takes you on a chocolatey tour of sweets galore.
Start your chocolate journey from the museum’s Period Rooms to discover how the Georgians, Victorians and the Jacobeans satisfied their sweet tooth.
Then follow the steps to find a spectacular whizzing and fizzing sweet making machine in the Toy Gallery. Follow your nose to find out what’s cooking in our working Chocolate Factory where you can explore what it was like to work in York’s famous factories. At special times of year you can also enjoy tasting sessions and expert workshops.
Next, take to our world-famous Victorian cobbled street Kirkgate to find a traditional scrumptious sweet shop brimming with chocolates and sweets from days gone by. Discover the worldwide household favourites that were first created right here in York.
In the First World War exhibition, 1914: When the World Changed Forever, you can learn how the Rowntree’s family were affected by war. Then it’s the swinging Sixties gallery with its new shop displaying some of the most iconic chocolate brands to come from York.
See original adverts, packaging and more alongside the stories of those who took York’s life-long love of confectionery to the world in this family-friendly, interactive experience through York’s history of chocolate and sweets.
Please note that the majority of this exhibition is located in the Upper Galleries which are currently inaccessible to wheelchair users. Further information on access at York Castle Museum is available here.
- Build your dream castle in the York Castle Museum BRICKLIVE play pit this Easter!
- New community exhibition in partnership with HERSTORY.YORK to open at York Castle Museum
- York Museums Trust announces move of CEO Reyahn King to a new post at National Trust for Scotland
- Staff health and wellbeing shown to be at the heart of York Museums Trust. All staff to benefit from a week’s holiday in early January and encouraged to rest and recuperate
- York Museums Trust partner with award-winning House of Memories to launch new app to help those living with dementia