Chocolate: York’s Sweet Past
Opens 1 April 2017
Delve into the delicious history of some of the world’s most iconic chocolates and sweets this Easter as York Castle Museum takes you on a chocolatey tour of sweets galore.
Start your chocolate journey from the museum’s Period Rooms to discover how the Georgians, Victorians and the Jacobeans satisfied their sweet tooth.
Then follow the steps to find a spectacular whizzing and fizzing sweet making machine in the Toy Gallery. Follow your nose to find out what’s cooking in our working Chocolate Factory where you can explore what it was like to work in York’s famous factories. At special times of year you can also enjoy tasting sessions and expert workshops.
Next, take to our world-famous Victorian cobbled street to find a traditional scrumptious sweet shop brimming with chocolates and sweets from days gone by. Discover the worldwide household favourites that were first created right here in York.
In the First World War exhibition, 1914: When the World Changed Forever, you can learn how the Rowntree’s family were affected by war. Then it’s the swinging Sixties gallery with its new shop displaying some of the most iconic chocolate brands to come from York.
See original adverts, packaging and more alongside the stories of those who took York’s life-long love of confectionery to the world in this family-friendly, interactive experience through York’s history of chocolate and sweets.
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Major Development Being Planned for York Castle Museum
- York Museums Trust Appoint Fundraising Manager
- New Exhibition Confirmed for York Castle Museum - Chocolate: York’s Sweet Past To Open Easter 2017
- Christmas Special of our Relaxed Opening Event at York Castle Museum Planned for 11 December 2016
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.